Monday 21 July 2014

Mobile signal

Orange and EE Service

I have been having difficulty with my mobile phone reception for the last two or three weeks. Inside our property on Main Street I have been getting no signal at all.

You may have been suffering the same intermittent service.

I contacted EE for their explanation a couple of weeks ago and it appears there is a problem with the transmitter located on the buildings at Nocton Farms. I was advised that EE engineers were trying to gain permission to access the site, but was assured they were aware of the problem and to phone back if the service didn't improve in the next week or so. As I was still experiencing problems over the weekend, I telephoned again.

I have been told this is now 'work in progress' and engineers are due on site again today. Apparently, when the nearest transmitter experiences a problem, the phone then tries to locate an alternative signal. This results in additional traffic to the alternative transmitter which can 'back up', causing a slower and intermittent service.

As I am writing, I see I am now receiving a constant three bars on my mobile phone inside the cottage, so it looks like the problem may have been sorted. Let's hope so.

Finally, when checking the coverage of the EE service on the web, I discovered that the village of Nocton actually gets a 3G service. It appears the faster 4G service is due to be extended to an area just outside Nocton within the next six months. However, this will require a short walk up the B1202 towards the B1188, where you just may be able to get a 4G signal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: All comments are moderated and will not be posted until screening has taken place. This is to ensure no foul language is posted online. Please leave your name if you are making a comment, even if it is just a first name - thank you.