Tuesday 27 May 2014

All Saints Church

The Bells

I love it when the church bells in Nocton ring out - it reminds me of my early years of childhood.

I was 'encouraged' to go to church from an early age, joining the choir and later serving on the altar of All Saints Parish Church, Old Glossop.

Unfortunately I wasn't a very disciplined chorister, quite the reverse I'm afraid. Often bored during lengthy sermons, I would roll a marble along a groove in the shelf of the stalls, giggling as it trundled it's noisy way to the other end, only for it to be returned with even more vigour.

I am rather embarrassed to admit now that our immature antics did not end there. Occasionally ripping a blank sheet from the front or back of the hymn book, a paper aeroplane would be fashioned and launched across the aisle. Mesmerised by it's swirling flight, it required great skill for the plane not to be noticed by the Vicar and for it to land exactly in the pews opposite. It somehow didn't impact on us that the whole congregation could see clearly what we were doing, along with our fits of infantile hysteria.

One Sunday, I remember one of the lads who served on the altar arriving back to the pews, only to accidentally touch his hair with the flaming candle. I don't know what he had in his hair at the time, but it went up in a cloud of smoke, with a loud crackle and a horrible stench. This caused great amusement and was an early warning to those of us who were yet to serve on the altar.

My own claim to Old Glossopian fame (apart from my childish antics as a chorister) was to faint whilst I was serving on the altar. I came to in the vestry, lying on my back with Jesus looking down at me from the Cross. A most unsettling experience. After many years of attending both weekly Holy Communion and Evensong services, I decided to stop going to church when I left school. I'm sure the parishioners were quite relieved when I managed to get full-time employment.

For many years thereafter, my connection with church ended. I only attended when there were special occasions - births, deaths, Christmas, Remembrance Sunday etc. This changed for a while after my wife and I had children. We felt it was only right to introduce them to Christian values.

We were living in Langworth at the time and used to attend St Edward's Church, Barlings. A short service held just once a month, it was perfect for us and was also a gentle introduction for our kids, the sermons by Robert Speight always enlightening.

Anyway I digress - the aim of this particular blog was really intended to give more information about the bells of Nocton - so here goes:

History
In 1865 Lady Sarah Albinia Louisa Robinson, Countess of Ripon, had a new peal of six bells cast by George Mears & Co of London in memory of her husband, Lord Frederick John Robinson, First Earl of Ripon, and Lord of the Manor. They were hung in a new low sided wooden frame which is still in use today. In 1931 the Whitechapel Bell Foundry of London rehung the bells on wooden headstocks and ball bearings in the original 1865 wooden frame. All the bells retain their canons.

Specifications
[Source: The Saint Andrews and All Saints Society of Church Bell Ringers]

Bell 1
Diameter: 26.00"
Note: F#
Weight: 4 cwt. 0 qrs. 0 lbs.

Bell 2
Diameter: 27.00"
Note: E
Weight: 4 cwt. 1 qr. 26 lbs.

Bell 3
Diameter: 28.00"
Note: D
Weight: 4 cwt. 3 qrs. 27 lbs.

Bell 4
Diameter: 31.00"
Note: C#
Weight: 5 cwt. 1 qr. 24 lbs.

Bell 5
Diameter: 33.25"
Note: B
Weight: 6 cwt. 2 qrs. 19 lbs.

Bell 6
Diameter: 35.50"
Note: A
Weight: 8 cwt. 1 qr. 11 lbs.

The six bells are housed in an octagonal belfry and named: "Blessing", "Honour", "Glory", "Power", "Be unto him that sitteth upon the throne" and "And unto the lamb forever".'
[Source: All Saints, Nocton]

Peal List
There is a Peal List for Nocton All Saints Church and you may like to listen to a short recording of Nocton All Saints Church Bells.

In 2008 it appears the church bells were quietened and I quote: '... those of you who find the church bells a little too loud will be pleased to hear that we are undertaking a noise reduction exercise in the belfry this winter by boarding up the 4 belfry louvre windows'.

A shame really as I believe the whole aim of the bells is to ring out and be heard, calling the parishioners from far and wide to attend the service.

Campanologists
So who are the bell-ringers of Nocton I wonder?  I'm not aware that we have our own resident campanologists. I often wonder who is pulling on the ropes, making our bells peal out with that lovely rhythmic pulse of sound, reminding me of my childhood. It would be nice to accredit them here and long may it continue.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Chris for this additional information and for your dedication in ringing out the bells. I do hope you get some interested parties coming forward.

    Kind regards.

    ReplyDelete

Note: All comments are moderated and will not be posted until screening has taken place. This is to ensure no foul language is posted online. Please leave your name if you are making a comment, even if it is just a first name - thank you.